South West Manufacturing Advisory Service 2011-12
This investment is an extension of a previous investment; South West Manufacturing Advisory Service.
This additional funding will enable the continuation of lean manufacturing services aimed at improving the efficiency of operations within small and medium sized enterprises across Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly using a range of enhanced service modules:
- A programme of visits to best practice exemplars – Networking and cluster events facilitated by local specialists to ‘world class’ manufacturing organisations
- Assistance in finding supplies, services or equipment – Using local, regional and national networks, the SWMAS team is able to assist in sourcing suppliers, equipment and services
- Assistance to companies who want to improve their resource efficiency – Identifying significant savings using specialist advisors to reduce environmental impact and carbon footprint
- Assistance to companies developing/introducing new products – Service includes feasibility work, project management assistance, sourcing new machinery, product development, design and materials
- Assistance to companies for working within a supply base or with supply chains – Through the ‘Supply Chain 21’ initiative suitable businesses and clusters are encouraged to register and undertake a ‘readiness assessment’. The aim is to enable companies to remain competitive and deliver increased value
- Assistance in developing a medium to long term manufacturing strategy – A holistic review of manufacturing businesses (including finance, marketing, human resources etc.), supported by a detailed action plan and associated support for eligible businesses
- Assistance in applying lean techniques across the whole enterprise - In-depth assistance in applying lean techniques across the whole enterprise
Additionally, MAS provide a significant amount of signposting and referral - for non-manufacturing queries, such as financial, human resources, marketing, legal or environmental issues.
MAS also work closely with other organisations, including Solutions for Business providers, to ensure manufacturers have access to a full range of business support services.